Thursday, November 22, 2012

Where Has Our Cents Gone?

Thought that might get everyone's attention.   Last weekend, while shopping for some wool yarn to knit Amanda a scarf and hat for the winter, I heard the same basic conversation from not one, but two people in lineups at two different stores.
 
And, do you know what they were saying?
 
They were both complaining that Christmas, well, all the holidays for that matter, are getting so commercialized and out of hand.
 
 
  And, I proceeded to tell each couple that I have started, for the last couple of Christmases, to make most of my Christmas gifts. 
 
I told them that I make useful, and consumable gifts for people.  And, do you want to know why I started doing this?!  Well, maybe you don't, but I'm going to tell you anyway, because I'm just like that, lol!  I give these types of gifts because either the people on our list usually have already purchased everything they wanted retail, and I don't want to waste my money just to have something to put under their tree. 
 
Or, because I am able to make gifts that are more reasonably priced, and better quality, than what I would find in the retail stores.  If I could even find the gift in the specific color or style I wanted, in the retail stores.
 
Mr. House Pretty and I took Financial Peace University with Dave Ramsey back awhile ago, and it was the absolute best thing we could have done!
 
One of Dave's sayings is “We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like.”
Dave Ramsey, The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
 
 So, that is where the title for this post came. Tell me, where has our "cents" gone? I think we have fallen, for too long, for what the retailers want us to believe. That we "need" to purchased all these items, even if our pocketbook tells us we don't have the funds, and we will feel the pain come the end of January.
 
Now, I'm not saying we shouldn't purchase any gifts for people, I'm just saying to use common "cents", have a reasonable budget, preferably that you have alloted for just this purpose, and stick to it.  It's the best gift that you can give your family.  Knowing that you didn't put yourself in debt so they could reeive something.
 
On a more personal note, we have moved several times because of Mr. House Pretty's job (unionized, seniority, blah, blah, blah...) and I will admit, with us back in our home town, there have been several times I have been in others' brand new homes.  And then we go back to our home...our 50 year old home...and I get discouraged.  But, then, I give myself a slap upside the head (emotionally, yes, physically, no) and Dave's saying comes back into my head, I dust myself off, pick up my paint brush, and continue with making my Diamond in the Rough, my House Pretty.  Without the large price tag.
 
And we save up and take our trips with that foreign object called cash!  And, we have great times, making great memories, without losing our "cents" at Christmastime, while getting our financial plan on track, because...
 
 “If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”
Dave Ramsey
 
I have not been compensated in any way for this post.  I just want everyone who has never heard of Dave Ramsey or taken his course, to give it a try and get control over your financial life!

2 comments:

  1. I love Dave Ramsey, I listen to him on the radio all the time and he is so right!! Last Christmas I got my son and his future wife two of the Dave Ramsey books. It would be fun to give them Peace University as a gift, so glad to hear you LOVED it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful and smart gift to give your son and future wife for Christmas! I think we're going to get our daughter the child's version for a gift. As far as I'm concerned, you can't start too young!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and would love if you would take a minute to say "Hi"!.